I read a blog by teachinglearning on tumblr. I thought it was a bit pessimistic at first and was slightly angry with this teacher for telling me that my high hopes of single-handedly turning around a failing CPS are more than out of my reach, but as I continued to read I realized he was being honest and giving me a warning- a head's up.
Teachinglearning talk about the kind of exhaustion you feel as a teacher and how it is unlike any other you have ever felt before. I was reminded of my semester of student in kindergarten. I was so tired and when I finally got to bed I would wake up frequently during the night from dreams about my students and the lessons I had prepared.
Teaching is draining, mentally, physically, and emotionally. I think that is important to consider as well as warn others wanting to become a teacher. It may look like all fun and games, but it's not. I hated coming home to my house mates in under grad because they would ask me things like "so how was playing all day?" or "do you get graded on how well you can color in the lines?" The lack of respect for teachers is terrible and can really wear on you. That is something else teachinglearning mentioned in his blog- the lack of respect and lack of appreciation.
I can't know exactly what I am in for when I start teaching- no teacher or future teacher can because schools, the classroom and the students change every year, but realizing that I am not super woman, that I am a human that will make mistakes, get tired, frustrated and angry is a step in the right direction toward being a good and prepared teacher. If I can be aware of some of the obstacles ahead of me then perhaps I can be better prepared for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment