Thursday, December 1, 2011
Top 10 obstacles facing middle level teachers
I wasn't surprised when several of my obstacles were also found on many of the other lists for teachers on the Advise for MLEs blog page. I was however proud that I had similar thoughts. Some of the things that I had in common with the other blog's list were concerns over teaching to the test/ the huge (and growing) emphasis on high standardized test scores. Time was another big one we shared. There is so much material out there and so little time to accurately cover it all. The third thing we both had in common was parents. There are some crazy crazy parents out there and it only takes one parent to "take down" a classroom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
41.Staying in touch with the constantly changing landscape of what is important to students and what is important to society
ReplyDeleteI looked over some of the lists again and this obstacle caught my attention. It is so important so know your kids and to make the lessons current. Things are going to stick if kids can relate or connect it to something in their lives or to something that they are familiar with. I also think it's a fine line teachers have to walk between what kids like or want to do and what society wants and expects from them. From my point of view, it seems like more often than not society wants/expects more from YAs than they are cognitively and emotionally ready for. So as a teacher, we need to provide a safe and understanding place for YAs to work through issues and be at a cognitive developmental level which they are comfortable and challenged in.